Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tour Rehearsal Complete!

Today was our final day of rehearsal. There was a bit of anticipation as all the pieces were expected to fall into place, but with only a few bumps, we made a clean run, loaded up the van, and called it a week. Here are some other favorite plays we've worked upon: a pencil that is afraid to be sharpened; a cat that's too nice to cat mice; Mr. Bean who, despite his best efforts, just can't name the right Jelly Belly flavor for his very demanding little customer; a little red flower who was too scared to come up to the earth's surface. Those are among my personal favorites, but, as our tour implies, we have all-star pieces across the board for the tour (incidental rhyme!).

There was one play that, due to our limited time, was not able to get on board for the tour: the story of a brother and a sister staring up at a starry night. The brother tries to get his sister to join him in making out shapes in the sky. The sister, who has since grown up into her high school self, doesn't really see the point in even staring at the stupid sky until the brother makes the shape of an I-Pod. Her imagination starts to peek out. The brother reminisces about how much he misses his sister's vibrant imagination of her younger years and the stories she used to make. She finally taps into that powerful imagination and starts to tell a fairy tell as the brother closes his eyes and becomes serenaded by her tall tale. I can't really do it justice here, but another really cool piece. It's amazing how many good plays we had to choose from--and we're still searching or this year's play festival winners!

Earlier today, I stumbled across Aladdin on the TV...I couldn't resist. As of right now they're showing Matilda, I'm trying to keep my eyes away. The movie is good. The book is awesome. Read it if you haven't already. So it's been a day of celebrating fantasy. Tally-ho!

When I think about where movies, plays, and other forms of the imagination take us, I think about this movie one of my roommates recommended to me, The Purple Rose of Cairo, which is believed to be Woody Allen's affectionate tribute to the movies. However, I think there's something to be extrapolated from it's story--is that we all need that place to let our minds expand beyond the walls of reason so we can deal with everything else. If you get the chance it's worth the watch.

P.S.-I know some people thought that the play I mentioned yesterday was a play currently under consideration; it is in fact a part of our up-coming tour. The tour itself is a "best of" previous play festival winners. Since we're still considering this year's lineup, I'm not really at liberty to say what my favorite's have been thus far, although my colleagues and I have hit upon some real potential winners already.

-Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment